At level 1 of the Bpi, five booths are reserved for people with visual impairments to use the resources and services of the Library. Insulated against noise, with specific air conditioning, adjustable lighting and appropriate furniture, their computer equipment is regularly renewed.
Booths 1, 2, 3 et 4 are self-service on reservation.
Booth 5 is reserved on appointment, for people trained to use braille printers, accompanied by an approved volunteer guide or a Bpi employee. In this booth are provided various user-training courses, including equipment and software hands-on training, by a member of the Mission reading and handicap.
You must register beforehand with the librarians at the General Information Desk of the Bpi (01 44 78 12 71 ou 12 75)
How to use a booth ?
Reservations can be made there or by telephone on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 12:00 am to 10:00 pm and on weekends from 11:00 am to 10:00 pm.
Your reservation must specify the equipment you want (the list of available booth equipment is available from the General Information Desk in braille and in large characters), the reservation date, the number of the booth, the name of the user and of the volunteer guide if necessary (how to contact a volunteer guide).
More informations in the other services available for those handicaps area.
The booths have :• A multimedia PC with a 19-inch screen and large-character keyboard. This provides access to the Bpi catalogue, Internet and office tools (Word, Excel). The screen reader software “Jaws” and the character enlargement software “Zoomtext” are installed on all five workstations.
• A scanner with the character recognition software “OmniPage Professional",
• A colour video enlarger (connected to the computer),
• A recorder,
• A multi-socket power bar for personal computers,
• A printer,
• A DAISY player/ recorder,
• A tape recorder (booth 1),
• A Perkins braille typewriter (booths 4 and 5),
• A braille display console (booths 2, 3 and 5),
• A reading machine (booths 2 and 3),
• A braille printer (booth 5),
• Vocale Presse for audio newspapers and magazines: In booths 1 and 3